Stumpy the squirrel (known as Moignon in the French dub) is one of the main characters of the show.
Stumpy is a squirrel with reddish brown fur. He has red eyes. He has two large front teeth, as do real life squirrels. He wears a pair of dark purple fingerless gloves, just like Mr. Cat, and green and white sneakers.
As an adult, Stumpy is much taller than his present self and has a rather large stomach. He wears a black and white striped tank top in addition to his fingerless gloves and sneakers, and has tattoos all over his body. He also has some facial hair. His ears droop down instead of sticking upright.
At first glance, Stumpy seems like the typical "idiot" character who fails at everything. He's uneducated, immature, and has no sense of reality. He is fascinated by adventure, explosions, superpowers, intergalactic wars and the like. Stumpy aspires to be like Mr. Coolskin, the hero of his favorite comic series, because he wins at everything, and his friend Mr. Cat, despite the latter's questionable morals, because he's cool. Stumpy hates books without pictures, sleeping and taking baths.
Stumpy is a very creative and imaginative young boy. He has imaginary friends, he possesses the ability to come up with new and unusual ways to achieve his goals, and he makes up stories involving supernatural or paranormal beings. According to "Let's Play Cards", Stumpy believes in everything from fairies to werewolves.
Stumpy is a very empathetic individual who cares deeply about his friends, and will stand up when he sees other people being mistreated. For example, in "Let's Play Musical Chairs, Stumpy feels sorry for the chairs since people sit on them all the time, and when Mr. Cat accuses Kaeloo of being biased against him in "Let's Play Lady Luck", Stumpy immediately takes his side.
Stumpy has shown a cynical and/or perverted side of his personality at times. He has expressed disapproval towards some of Kaeloo's games as he finds them boring or childish, and tried to peep when Pretty was using the bathroom. In addition, he has engaged in morally questionable activities such as stealing money and other items from his mother's purse, and helping Mr. Cat rob a supermarket. In "Let's Play Shaolin Fitness", he learns martial arts to get revenge on Mr. Cat for taking his stuff all the time, but after knocking him out he simply goes up to Quack Quack and does the exact same thing Mr. Cat did to him earlier, stating that his role must be filled.
Despite his seemingly cheerful and ignorant nature, Stumpy appears to be hiding a lot of pain; he repeatedly attempts suicide (and fails) in several different episodes, and in "Let's Play the Very Special Episode", he openly sings about the suffering he endures in his day-to-day life. Stumpy is often bullied and mocked by the other characters, especially Kaeloo and Mr. Cat, which has led to him having extremely low self-esteem. He often remarks that he feels "unworthy" to date Ursula, and that he sees himself as stupid and ugly. In the early episodes, he takes the abuse sitting down, but as the series progresses, he starts to stand up for himself and even manages to get back at the frog and the cat sometimes.
Stumpy is very unlucky and possesses very few talents. However, he does show great skill in the few talents he does have, namely art and computer science.
His general knowledge is greatly lacking; he can't recite the alphabet beyond a few letters, and he believes that his favorite superhero discovered America.
Stumpy is incredibly stupid, and he will believe almost anything told to him no matter how ridiculous it is. He can't even recite the alphabet correctly. However, he has displayed signs of intelligence on occasions. He also notices little details that are often overlooked by his other friends, and is much more observant than people think he is.
See also: List of Stumpy's Catchphrases
He has many catchphrases, the most commonly used ones being "Cool!", "That's nuts!", "Insane!", and "I hate your guts!". Both "That's nuts" and "Insane" come from the French words, "C’est dingue!" (which is also one of his catchphrases in the French dub), which directly translates to "This is crazy!". Whenever he doesn't understand something (which is often), is afraid or otherwise agitated, he spouts gibberish as his neck spasms erratically.
Role in the show
Stumpy is the character who was least focused on in the first season, mainly serving as a source of humor, but he has been the focus of a few Season 1 episodes, such as "Let's Play Figurines" and "Let's Play Hot - Cold". From season 2 onwards, his role is greatly expanded.
He normally joins the others on adventures, and either helps them or accidentally hinders their progress (the latter is usually the case). He usually tries to win whatever games the buddies are playing and fails horribly. In many of the games, seemingly to his annoyance, he has to dress as a girl. In "Let's Play Spies", under the effects of truth serum, he confesses to secretly liking this.
Stumpy is an antagonist in several episodes, teaming up with Mr. Cat to wreak havoc. He usually acts as the latter's henchman and follows whatever orders he is given, and as a result he usually isn't punished as hard for his actions due to Mr. Cat being the actual brains behind the scheme.
Stumpy's official bio states that he has 36 sisters, however, it is a running gag in the series that everyone (including himself) states that he has no sister.
Kaeloo: "Oh, look over there! Stumpy's sister!"
Mr Cat: (turning to Stumpy) "Your sister?"
Stumpy: "Sister? Don't have one."
He has appeared in every episode so far.
- He eats and collects acorns.
- He stores nuts for the winter.
- He lives in a tree in the expository comic, and a burrow in Kaeloo: Let's Play....
- He claims to possess the ability to climb trees.
Stumpy is often made fun of and/or bullied by the other characters in the show, and the others say that he's an annoying loser. Despite this, he still manages to maintain a mostly good relationship with everybody, as none of the main and secondary characters actually hate him.
- Kaeloo and Stumpy's Relationship
- Stumpy and Quack Quack's Relationship
- Stumpy and Mr. Cat's Relationship
- Stumpy and Pretty's Relationship
- Stumpy and Eugly's Relationship
- Stumpy and Olaf's Relationship
- Stumpy and Ursula's Relationship
Names in Other Languages
- Stumpy is the most popular character among fans of the show.
- In the Pilot, even in the English version, he is referred to as Moignon (his name in the French dub).
- Colorscripts on the blog of Tristan Michel, the series' artistic director, indicate that Stumpy was originally intended to have blue eyes.
- His name originates from the fact that in the original concept for the show, he was supposed to have little stumps instead of hands.
- In the expository comics, he had no gloves, and his sneakers were red instead of green.
- As the comic depicts his early childhood, it is possible that he started wearing the gloves later in life.
- His favorite superhero is Mr. Coolskin.
- Stumpy is the only male character to wear shoes, and the only one of the four main characters to wear any footwear (Pretty wears a pair of sandals).
- In one episode, he stated that his parents never married each other.
- Stumpy has died in several episodes, only to be fine by the next episode.
- He collects comic books, stamps and acorns, he wanted to start a collection of figurines of himself in "Let's Play McDaube", and in the comic books, he has a collection of Mr. Coolskin figurines.
- The expository comic showed that he lives in a tree, and in "Let's Play Mysterious Box" he is able to climb trees easily. The comic book, on the other hand, shows him living in a burrow in the ground. Therefore, it is unclear whether Stumpy is a tree squirrel or a ground squirrel.
- Stumpy has acrophobia, the fear of heights, trypanophobia, the fear of needles, coulrophobia, the fear of clowns, and nyctophobia, the fear of the dark.
- While his official bio says he has 36 sisters, the show claims that he only has 7 of them.
- His credit card number is 4668, though in the English dub, it was changed to 8663.
- In "Let's Play Multibirthday", it is revealed that Stumpy is ten years old.
Stumpy's gallery can be viewed here.